Associate Professor Olivier Buzzi
Selected publications are available for download in PDF format below.
1. Jafari MK, Amini Hosseini K, Pellet F, Boulon M, Buzzi O (2003). Evaluation of shear strength of rock joints subjected to cyclic loading. Soils Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering. 23, 619–630.
2. Buzzi O, Hans J, Boulon M, Deleruyelle F, Besnus F (2007). Hydromechanical study of rock mortar interfaces. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, Parts A/B/C, 32(8-14), 820-831.
3. Buzzi O, Boulon M, Deleruyelle F, Besnus F (2008). Hydromechanical behaviour of rock-bentonite interfaces under compression. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering 41(2), 343-371
4. Buzzi O, Boulon M, Hervé M, Su K (2008). Leaching of rock concrete interfaces. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 41(3), 445-466
5. Giacomini A, Buzzi O, Giani GP, Migliazza M, Ferrero AM (2008). Numerical study of the flow anisotropy within a single natural rock joint. Int. J. Rock. Mech. & Min. Sci.45(1), 47-58 .
6. Buzzi O, Fityus S, Sasaki Y and Sloan S (2008). Structure and properties of expanding polyurethane resin in the context of foundation remediation in expansive soil. Mechanics of Materials, 40(12), 1012-1021.
7. Buzzi O, Pedroso D & Giacomini A (2008). Caveats on the implementation of the Generalized Material Point Method. Computer Modeling in Engineering & Sciences, 31(2), 85-106.
8. Lopez P, Thoraval A, Buzzi O, Rahmani I & Boulon M, (2008). Advances in constitutive modeling of jointed rock hydro mechanical interactions at laboratory scale. Studia Geotechnica et Mechanica, Special Issue, p. 223-233, ISSN 0137-6365.
9. Altarawaneh K, Buzzi O, Krabbenhoft K, Lyamin A (2009). Discussion on the paper “Experimental investigations into concentration-dependent chloride diffusivity in glass beads and fine sand”. Journal of Porous Media. 12(3), 289-291.
10. Fityus S and Buzzi O (2009). The place of expansive clays in the framework of unsaturated soil mechanics. Applied Clay Science, 42(3), 150-155
11. Fityus S and Buzzi O (2009). On the use of the Thornthwaite Moisture Index to infer depths of seasonal moisture change. Australian Geomechanics, 43(4), 69-76.
12. Giacomini A, Buzzi O, Renard B and Giani GP (2009). Experimental studies on fragmentation of rock falls on impact with rock surfaces. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Science, 46(4), 708-715.
13. Al Tarawneh K, Buzzi O, Krabbenhoft K, Lyamin A and Sloan SW (2009). An indirect approach for correlation of permeability and diffusion coefficients. Defect and Diffusion Forum Vols 283-286, 504-514
14. Narsilio G, Buzzi O, Fityus S, Yun TS, Smith D (2009). Upscaling of Navier Stokes equations in porous media: theoretical, numerical and experimental approach. Computers and Geotechnics, 36, 1200-1206.
15. Lambert C, Buzzi O, Giacomini A (2010). Influence of calcium leaching on the mechanical behavior of a rock mortar interface: a DEM analysis. Computers and Geotechnics, 37, 258-266
16. Buzzi O, Fityus S, Sloan SW (2010). The Use of Expanding Polyurethane Resin to Remediate Expansive Soil Foundations. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 47, 623-634
17. Buzzi O (2010). On the use of dimensional analysis to predict soil swelling. Engineering Geology, 116, 149-156.
18. Buzzi O, Giacomini A, Fityus S (2011). Towards a dimensionless description of soil swelling behaviour. Geotechnique, 61(3), 271-277.
19. Russell A and Buzzi O (2012). A fractal basis for soil-water characteristics curves with hydraulic hysteresis. Géotechnique, 62(3), 269-274.
20. Buzzi O, Giacomini A, Spadari M (2012). Laboratory investigation on high values of restitution coefficients. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 45(1), 35-43.
21. Spadari M, Giacomini A, Buzzi O, Hambleton J (2012). Prediction of the bullet effect for rockfall barriers: a scaling approach. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 45(2),131-144.
22. Spadari M, Giacomini A, Buzzi O, Fityus S, Giani GP (2012). In situ rock fall testing in New South Wales, Australia. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Science, 49, 84-93.
23. Buzzi O, Grimes S, Rolls A (2012). Writing for the discipline in the discipline? Teaching in Higher Education, 17, 4, 479-484.
24. Liu X, Collin F, Buzzi O, Sloan SW (2012) Numerical modelling of ground temperature evolution and soil subsidence as a result of underground coal fire. Australian Geomechanics Journal, 47, 4, 27-32.
25. Buzzi O, Spadari M, Giacomini A, Fityus S, Sloan SW (2013). Experimental testing of rockfall barriers designed for the low range of impact energy. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. 46(4), 701-712.
26. Spadari M, Kardani M, De Carteret R, Giacomini A, Buzzi O, Fityus S, Sloan SW (2013). Statistical evaluation of rockfall energy ranges for different geological settings of New South Wales, Australia. Engineering Geology,158, 57-65.
27. Hambleton JP, Buzzi O, Giacomini A, Spadari M, Sloan SW (2013). Perforation of flexible rockfall barriers by normal block impact. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 46(3), 515-526.
28. Fityus S, Giacomini A, Spadari M, Buzzi O (2013). The significance of geology for the morphology of potentially unstable rocks. Engineering Geology, 162, 43-52.
29. Mendes J, Buzzi O (2013). New insight into cavitation mechanisms in high-capacity tensiometers based on high-speed photography. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 50 (5), 550-556.
30. De Carteret R, Buzzi O, Fityus S, (2013). Installation, calibration and application of dielectric sensors in compacted unsaturated granular materials. ASTM Geotechnical Testing Journal, 36(5), 713-724.
31. De Carteret R, Buzzi O, Fityus S, Liu X (2014). Effect of naturally occurring salts on tensile and shear strength of sealed granular road pavements. ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. 10.1061/(ASCE) MT.1943-5533.0000938.
32. Buzzi O, Sieffert Y, Mendes J, Liu, X, Giacomini A, Seedsman R. (2014). Strength of an Australian coal under low confinement. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering.
33. Liu X, Buzzi O (2014). Use of HSP as a new coating to measure soil bulk volume. Accepted in ASTM Geotechnical Testing Journal.
34. Sieffert Y, Buzzi O, Collin F (2014). Numerical study of shear band instability and effect of cavitation on the response of a specimen under undrained biaxial loading. International Journal of Solids and Structures.
35. Buzzi O, Leonarduzzi E, Krummenacher B, Volkwein A, Giacomini A (2015). Performance of High Strength Rock Fall Meshes: Effect of Block Size and Mesh Geometry. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 48, 1221-1231.