Professor Stephen Fityus
Selected publications are available for download in PDF format below.
1. Fityus SG, Hitchcock PW, Allman MA, Delaney MG (1998) Engineering Geology and Geotechnical Engineering in the Hunter Valley. Conference Proceedings, The Australian Geomechanics Society, Newcastle.
2. Smith DW, Fityus SG, Allman MA (2001) Environmental Geotechnics. Proceedings of GEOENVIRONMENT 2001: The 2nd Australian and New Zealand Conference on Environmental Geotechnics, The Australian Geomechanics Society, Newcastle.
1. Fityus SG, Allman MA, Smith DW (1999) Mound shapes beneath covered areas, Australian Geomechanics, 34(3), 5-14.
2. Fityus SG, Smith DW, Booker JR (1999) Contaminant transport through an unsaturated soil liner beneath a landfill. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 36, 330–354.
3. Fityus SG (1999) A soil moisture based method of estimating ys. Australian Geomechanics, 34(3), 15-24.
4. Fityus SG, Smith DW (2001) Solution of the unsaturated soil moisture equation using repeated transforms. International Journal of Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 25, 1501–1524.
5. Fityus SG, Delaney MG (2001) Timber pile foundations for expansive soils. Australian Geomechanics, 36(2), 51-56.
6. Li J, Smith DW, Fityus SG (2003) The effect of a gap between the access tube and the soil during neutron probe measurements. Australian Journal of Soil Research, 41(1), 151-164.
7. Li J, Smith DW, Fityus SG, Sheng DC (2003) Numerical analysis of neutron moisture probe measurements. The International Journal of Geomechanics, 3(1), 11-20.
8. Fityus SG, Smith DW, Allman MA (2004) An expansive soil test site near Newcastle. ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 130(7), 686-695.
9. Jungnickel C, Smith DW, Fityus SG (2004) Coupled multi-ion electrodiffusion analysis for clay soils. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 41(2), 287-298.
10. Fityus SG, Smith DW (2004) The development of a residual soil profile from a mudstone in a temperate climate. Engineering Geology, 74(1), 39-56.
11. Smith DW, Pivonka P, Jungnickel C, Fityus SG (2004) Theoretical analysis of anion exclusion and diffusive transport through platy-clay soils. Transport in Porous Media, 57(3), 251-277.
12. Fityus SG, Cameron D, Walsh P (2005) The shrink swell test. The ASTM Geotechnical Testing Journal, 28(1), 92-101.
13. Fityus SG, Hawkins G, Delaney M, Morton S (2005) An Overview of Engineering Geology and Geotechnical Challenges in the Newcastle Region. Australian Geomechanics, 40(1), 5-28.
14. Fityus SG, Love A, Andreissen R (2005) Geotechnical characteristics of Quaternary sediments in Newcastle, Australian Geomechanics, 40(1), 111-128.
15. Fityus S, Gibson J, Bax D, Rannard T (2005) The Karuah Bypass: A case study in the engineering geology of the southern New England Fold Belt. Australian Geomechanics, 40(2), 43-54.
16. Delaney M, Li J, Fityus SG (2005) Field monitoring of expansive soil behaviour in the Newcastle-Hunter region. Australian Geomechanics, 40(2), 3-15.
17. LÃ…Â‘rincz J, Imre E, Galos M, Trang QP, Rajkai K, Fityus SG, Telekes G (2005) Grading Entropy Variation Due to Soil Crushing. International Journal of Geomechanics, 5(4), 311-319.
18. Hancock GR, Nuake J, Fityus SG (2006) Modeling of sediment dynamics in a laboratory scale experimental catchment. Hydrological Processes, 20(1), 67-84.
19. Huang WX, Smith DW, Bishop D, Sheng DC, Fityus SG (2006) Finite-element parametric study of the consolidation behaviour of a trial embankment on soft clay. International Journal of Geomechanics ASCE, 6(5), 328-341.
20. Wells T, Fityus SG, Smith DW, Moe H (2006) The indirect estimation of saturated hydraulic conductivity of soils, using measurements of gas permeability. I Laboratory testing with dry granular soils. Australian Journal of Soil Research, 44(7), 719¬-725.
21. Wells T, Fityus SG, Smith DW(2007). Use of in situ air flow measurements to study permeability in cracked clay soils. ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 133(12), 1577-1586.
22. Huang WX, Sloan SW, Fityus SG (2008). Incorporating a predefined limit condition in a hypoplastic model by means of stress transformation. Mechanics of Materials, 40(10), 796-802.
23. Hancock GR, Crawter D, Fityus SG, Chandler J, Wells T (2008) The measurement and modelling of rill erosion at angle of repose slopes in mine spoil. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 33(7), 1006-1020.
24. Nakao T, Fityus S (2008). Direct shear testing of a marginal material using a large shear box. Geotechnical Testing Journal, 31(5), 393-403.
25. Buzzi O, Fityus S, Sasaki Y. and Sloan S. (2008) Structure and properties of expanding polyurethane resin in the context of foundation remediation in expansive soil. Mechanics of Materials, 40(12), 1012-1021.
26. Fityus S, Török A, Gibson J (2008) The influence of geologic structure on design and construction in a moderately deformed paleozoic sequence in Eastern Australia. Central European Geology, 50 (4), 363-380.
27. Lewis TW, Pivonka P, Fityus SG, Smith DW (2009). Parametric sensitivity analysis of coupled mechanical consolidation and contaminant transport through clay barriers. Computers and Geotechnics, 36 (1-2), 31-40.
28. Fityus S, Buzzi O. (2009). The place of expansive clays in the framework of unsaturated soil mechanics. Applied Clay Science, 42(3), 150-155.
29. Fityus S, Buzzi O (2009). On the use of the Thornthwaite Moisture Index to infer depths of seasonal moisture change. Australian Geomechanics, 43(4), 69-76.
30. Imre E, Lörincz J, Trang QP, Fityus S, Pusztai J, Telekes G, Schanz, T (2009). A general dry density law for sands. KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering 13 (4), 257-272.
31. Narsilio G, Buzzi O, Fityus S, Yun TS, Smith D (2009), Upscaling of Navier Stokes equations in porous media: theoretical, numerical and experimental approach. Computers and Geotechnics, 36(7), 1200-1206.
32. Buzzi O, Fityus SG, Sloan SW (2009). The use of expanding polyurethane resin to remediate expansive soil foundations. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 47(6), 623-634.
33. Wang SY, Sloan SW, Fityus SG, Griffiths DV, Tang CA (2013). Numerical modeling of pore pressure influence on fracture evolution in brittle heterogeneous rocks. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. (In press).
34. Spadari M, Kardani M, De Carteret R, Giacomini A, Buzzi O, Fityus S, Sloan SW (2013). Statistical evaluation of rockfall energy ranges for different geological settings of New South Wales, Australia. Engineering Geology,158, 57-65.
35. Buzzi O, Spadari M, Giacomini A, Fityus S, Sloan SW (2013). Experimental testing of rockfall barriers designed for the low range of impact energy. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. 46(4), 701-712.
36. Fityus S, Giacomini A, Spadari M, Buzzi O (2013) The significance of geology for the morphology of potentially unstable rocks. Engineering Geology, 162, 43-52.